By Lawrence Oyibo
The opposition party in Delta State, All Progressives Congress (APC) has taken a swipe at the State Governor, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa over his recent statement of rescuing Nigeria, describing it as mockery of the countless abandoned projects and infrastructure in the State.
The party in a statement signed by Sylvester Imonina, Esq., Publicity Secretary (Caretaker) APC Delta State, asked Governor Okowa to first rescue Delta infrastructurally before talking about Nigeria, noting that, “it is very unfortunate that despite the fact that Delta State is the highest recipient of Federal allocations for more than three years now, meaningful development is far from Deltans”.
The statement as obtained by this medium on Friday, November 5, 2021, reads below.
There is a common saying that “charity begins at home”, and in Delta State, there is a common adage that says “fufu wey dey full belle, na eyes them they take know am”. In the light of the above, Delta APC dare to say that it is ludicrous for Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa and his “hallelujah boys” in Delta State to tell Nigerians that they are out on a rescue mission to rescue Nigeria.
Before now, Delta APC did not want to join issues with Okowa and his aides, but because the opposition Party does not want Deltans to go back to the yesteryears of political locust, hence the Party reaction to PDP attempt to deceive Deltans.
Considering what Deltans are going through in the hands of PDP led-Government of Delta in relation to human and infrastructural development, it is preposterous for the State Governor to say anything about the development of Nigeria and Nigerians. Is there any meaningful development in Delta State? Why can’t he maintain silence when issues of development are being discussed!
Delta APC and Deltans are asking Gov. Okowa the following questions!
(1) What is the state of Warri industrial Park?
(2) What is the State of Kwale industrial Park?
(3) What is the state of Oleri leisure Park?
(4) What is the state of Warri-Ode Itsekiri road?
(5) Why are the few roads constructed in the State by your administration collapsing in less than three months of their construction?
(6) Why are companies and/ or investors moving out of Delta State in droves?
(7) Why is it that the only source of employments to Delta graduates are riding of tricycles (keke) and “tuketukes”?
(8) Why is the exact take home of State civil servants not known and/ or shrouded in secrecy?
(9) Why are the Local Government workers and primary school teachers owed for months without being paid?
(10) Why are retired local government workers’ entitlements not paid since 2014?
(11) Why are retired State workers not paid then pensions and gratuities since 2016?
(12) Why are the few available employment opportunities in Delta State civil service shrouded in secrecy?
(13) Why are there no known State Government Contractors in Delta State of today, unlike in the time past where there was hardly any Street in Delta State without Goverment contractors?
(14) What is the state of Ada-Irri-Okpe-Isoko-Ofagbe Road?
Delta APC challenges Gov. Okowa to rescue those projects and/ or answer the above questions before he and his likes will talk about rescuing of Nigeria. Deltans are wiser now!
Without holding brief for the media handlers of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari, it is a known fact that gargantuan achievements have been made by the present APC led Federal Goverment which are but not limited to the followings:
(a) Construction and revamping of the rail sector.
(b) Construction and rehabilitation of hundreds of Federal roads and Bridges which were before now not motorable. The multi-billions second Niger bridge between Asaba and Onitsha speaks volumes.
(c) Reforming and revamping the Payment of pensions for federal civil servants.
(d) Total overhauling of most of the seaports and airports for optimal performances.
(e) Revamping of the agricultural sector which has given room to astronomical increase in rice production and other cereal crops.
(f) Social investment programmes like Npower, market money, Covid-19 loans, special public works (SPW) and other related programmes that have in no small measure put smiles on the faces of Deltans in particular and Nigerians in general.
The above mentioned Federal Goverment’s programmes are accessed by Nigerians irrespective of political and ethnic leaning /cleavages; unlike in Delta State where some purported programmes of the State Government are shrouded in secrecy!
It is very unfortunate that despite the fact that Delta State is the highest recipient of Federal allocations for more than three years now, meaningful development is far from Deltans.
The PDP led-Government of Delta State should bury its head in shame when issues of human and capital developments are talked about. Deltans are wiser now, as they cannot be deceived again with PDP political rhetorics.