…Insist On Justice And Equity
Anioma Youths For Good Governance (AYGG), a sociopolitical pressure group with membership drawn from youths within Delta North Senatorial District and by extension every Anioma Youth and Professionals, have keenly observed and followed up on the activities of political parties in delta state, with keen interest on those whom may be presented to Anioma People/Youths as gubernatorial candidates.
With a view to making the best from the remaining four year tenure (which is a conventional entitlement 2019-2023); after coming to the conclusion of the Sen Ifeanyi Okowa administration inadequacies, AYGG joined other well meaning progressive elements in finding a more suitable alternative that will quench the thirst for a better Delta State, while also proving that Anioma indeed has sound minds and qualified personalities to steer the course to a more progressive conclusion.
AYGG is a group with the objective to ensure the reign of good governance in Nigeria, Delta and in Anioma Nation in particular. It has watched with keen interest the political events that enveloped the Gubernatorial Primaries of the various political parties in Delta State.
However, it is with utmost dismay and displeasure that the UNACCEPTABLE became THE NORM during the All Progressives Congress (APC) Gubernatorial primaries conducted by the Prophet Jones Erue led faction in Asaba between Sunday, 30th September and Monday, 1st October, 2018.
Delta APC has navigated through the turbulence of 2015 gubernatorial elections, managing its victory, and now it seeks to consolidate its hold on power in order to even the spread of progressive leadership. This has put on the front burner, the problem of raising a standard that will not just produce a candidate to face Okowa; but in the spirit of equity, fairness and brotherhood, take the sensitive issues that have so far characterized the structure of Delta’s existence as a multi-ethnic and multi-lingual enclave, with the view to forging a workable and mutually beneficial scenario.
Importantly and beyond the affair of political administrations in Delta state is the reality of a near perfect distribution of powers between the major ethnic/territorial divisions in the state.
From 1999-2007 the Urhobos (Delta Central) held sway through the administration of Chief James Onanefe Ibori, between 2007 and 2015 Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan (Itsekiri/Delta South) was a beneficiary of the Equity 2005 agenda which was championed by Anioma sons and daughters. The circle from 2015 has seen the move of power to Delta north, and by 2019, the cycle will be midway through. In the desire to maintain the hard-fought balance which has several times seen attempts to truncate, together with the core ideals of progressive leadership and effective socio-economic and political management of our State, it is therefore preferred that the APC candidate for the 2019 governorship comes from Anioma nation. This craving will settle the sentiments that may arise from across board.
Nevertheless, beyond the arguments for equity and justice, is the right to free, fair and credible intra party electoral activities and it is on this note that Anioma Youths For Good Governance therefore draws out some areas of reservations as it relates to the conduct of the Gubernatorial Primaries that has been described in many quarters as a Charade, show of shame, mockery of democratic process and a one sided affair.
We, therefore hold as follows:
1) That Delta State is seated on a tripod of Delta north, Central South Senatorial Districts; the structure has become a political arrangement for the governance of the State, where each of the Senatorial District is allowed to take a turn of two terms of four years each.
2) That both Delta Central and South Senatorial Districts have taken turn to serve in the persons of Chief James Onanefe Ibori and Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan and have successfully completed two terms of eight years each.
3) That Delta North, the ANIOMA PEOPLE is currently taking her turn now with Dr Ifeayi Okowa serving out our first term by May, 29th 2019.
4) That While Anioma Youths remain resolute in the quest to enthrone a better Delta through quality leadership and service delivery, it is only ANIOMA Son or Daughter that should serve the dispensation between 2019-2023, as this would be the second stretch of 4years which Delta North Senatorial District is entitled to.
5) That we align ourselves with the decision of our leaders, great Sons of Anioma and Guber Aspirants of the APC, in the persons of Prof Pat Utomi, Rt Hon Victor Ochei and Dr Cairo Ojougboh; not to take part in the Kangaroo gubernatorial primary conducted by the Prophet Jones Erue led faction, having already been compromised through the deployment of antics that are completely alien to the best democratic practices and threatens the balance on which Deltans peacefully coexist.
6) That we welcome the decision of any political party that throws it’s weight behind the call for equity, fairness and Justice. On this note, we single out the the decision of the Cyril Ogodo led faction of APC to throw their weight behind equity, fairness and justice by nominating an Anioma Son, Prof Pat Utomi as the faction’s candidate in the primary conducted in Asaba on 30th September 2018, in furtherance of the governance arrangement that allows power to remain in Delta North till 2023.
7) That Anioma Youths For Good Governance will resist in the very strongest terms any opposition to the culture of equity and justice.
8) That, where the National Working Committee (NWC) of the APC finds it unsettling to work with the OGODO FACTION PRIMARIES RESULTS, then it should submits itself and conform with the demand of three out of the four Aspirants, cancels and orders for a fresh primary contest where the necessary tenets of democratic primary must be observed.
9) That failure to yield to this clarion call will be tantamount to asking the Anioma Youths For Good Governance structure to take drastic and very shocking steps which will in every respect threaten the chances of President Muhammadu Buhari in Delta State, as protest against the injustice of the Sunday’s Kangaroo Primaries.
AYGG makes it clear that it is abreast with the contest in Delta State, and with the entry of three eminently qualified Anioma sons into the race viz Prof. Patrick Okedinachi Utomi, Rt Hon Engr Victor Onyekachi Ochei Esq and Hon. Dr Cairo Ojuogboh, there is no reason why either of the three should not be supported to clinch the ticket. It has been observed from 1999, that Deltans have been known to vote along ethnic lines and while we seek in the later future to downplay this, the completion of the cycle in 2019 remains in the best interest of Deltans. We note however, that we haven’t settled for mediocre elements in this contest as these three tested and proven individuals are qualified by any ramification known to man.
Therefore, ANIOMA YOUTHS FOR GOOD GOVERNANCE desires to unequivocally assert its stance on the Emergence of an Anioma Candidate from the APC, if the party is to see itself as positioned to win Delta state. Any scheming, underplays and manoeuvring to thwart this, as is already being observed by retrogressive elements from with the party is best ESCHEWED.
Anything beyond an Anioma Candidate in 2019 for Delta APC will certainly culminate in total failure of the TAKE OVER DELTA PROJECT.
ANIOMA YOUTHS FOR GOOD GOVERNANCE (AYGG)