In a bid to perform her watchdog responsibilities to society as well as give vent to its constitutional obligation of upholding the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people, the Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ), Delta State Council is set to hold media Dialogue/Stewardship Testimonial with all the 25 Local Government Chairmen ahead of the forth coming LGA elections.
Briefing journalists in Asaba, the state capital, Chairman, Nigeria Union of Journalists, Delta state council, Comrade Michael Ikeogwu said the aim of the programme is to dialogue with outgoing Councils Chairmen in the State to enable them speak on their stewardship in the past three years.
“You are all aware that the Delta State political atmosphere is getting charged and replete with aspirations and promises from political office seekers, in view of the forthcoming Council polls,” Ikeogwu said.
The Delta NUJ boss in his words said; “the people deserve to know how their Council Heads carried out their stewardship in the last three years. They deserve to know if the Council leaders in the coming dispensation have superior political idea to offer them. They also need to know some of the challenges the Council Heads went through and what measures they hope to proffer. Of course, the people need to know to what extent the Council Heads were able to meet their campaign promises”.
Comrade Ikeogwu noted that the dialogue will run from September 25 to October 23, 2017 with Oshimili North and South blazing the trail, while Ughelli North and South will end the exercise.
We have made effort to communicate with the 25 outgoing Local Government Council heads and have also come up with the following schedule said Ikeogwu
1. Oshimili North and South- September 25, 2017.
2. Aniocha North and South- September 27, 2017
3. Ika North-East and South- September 29, 2017
4. Ndokwa East, West and Ukwuani- October 4, 2017
1. Warri North and South- October 6, 2017
2. Warri South-West and Burutu- October 9, 2017
3. Isoko North and South- October 11, 2017
4. Bomadi and Patani- October 13, 2017
1. Uvwie and Udu- October 16, 2017
2. Ethiope East and West- October 18, 2017
3. Okpe and Sapele- October 20, 2017
4. Ughelli North and South- October 23, 2017
This dialogue which commences at 10:00 am each day at the NLC Secretariat (Labour House) on NTA Road, Asaba will be a continuous exercise for political office holders and seekers in Delta state.